Monday, June 21, 2010

Classroom Theme

I'm on an idea hunt, people, so supply me! What do you think my classroom decoration theme should be for this coming school year? Last year was an Hispanic Fiesta! Very bright and colorful - I loved it and so did my kids! The Dollar Tree usually has good, cheap stuff for decorating, but their summer party theme is a Tiki Party. I do not want a tiki classroom. I love books and would love to have something to do with that, but don't want to bog my classroom down with pictures of old dead people whose books are mostly above my kid's reading level. Hmmm . . . just writing this down has got me thinking . . . I could make books my theme . . . have a bulletin board featuring the book of the month . . . find book visuals (I think Dollar Tree has little paper ones in different colors) and hang them from the ceiling . . . make visuals of characters from books on our reading level and put them around the room with quotations from those books . . . hmmm . . . sounds like a lot of legwork and visual making . . . so tell me what you think! I need feedback. If you have a different decorating scheme, share that too!!

6 comments:

Alicia said...

Wow. I'd like to think of something brilliant and cheap. I did find this link.
http://www.stretcher.com/stories/980730b.cfm
One of the suggestions is to contact publishers for free classroom materials about specific authors.

Alicia said...

Here's another awesome link.

http://www.teacherhelp.org/bulletin.htm

Hannah said...

Well, if you DO decide to do books, you could consider using a printer and printing out books covers of books that are on their grade and reading level. Perhaps books that contain stories about what they are learning in your classes.

Sandy said...

Maggie did a really awesome bulletin board one year for teaching reading. She made constructed characters from books on the class' reading level (amelia bedilia, winnie the pooh, hhmmm...i forget the rest) but it was really good looking. I think making the characters is a good idea.

Rachel Lynn said...

I remember that bulletin board of Maggie's - it was beautiful!!

For His Purpose said...

maybe places around the world theme...kinda broad. sorry

For His purpose,

Shane Gordon.