Sunday, June 13, 2010

May's Bulletin Board


It's late, I know, but it was one of my favorites this year so I had to share.


We were covering the scientific system of classification so I stole an idea from the K4 class and had my kids trace their foot and hands and create their own butterfly. The label read something like this:

Kingdom: Our Christian School

Phylum: Elementary

Class: 5th & 6th grades

Family: Insecta

Order: Lepidoptera (butterfly/moth)

In this system, the genus and species names are combined to create the scientific name of a specific animal or plant. These are always Latin or Greek. I tried to find my kids' names in Latin or Greek, but some of them just don't exist (most of them don't exist - very creative parents named my kids). So I made them up - ridiculously. For example, my name might have been changed to Racelus Claetoraeus. Slightly pathetic, but they loved it and so did I!

4 comments:

Diane said...

Cute bulletin board, Rach. I really liked the idea of the Latin names.

Rachel Lynn said...

Thanks, Mum!

Hannah said...

Your Latin name = HILARIOUS!

Alicia said...

My kids (including Rose)love saying "Kingdom, Phyllum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species!" Goofy kids. Cute bb.